How to Start a Magazine
For information on how to start your own magazine, the Association of Magazine Media in USA recommend the following online resources – please be aware that some of these resources may be specific to the American market.
- www.magazinelaunch.com — A full service information portal for new magazines.
- The Surviving Small Press: Starting a Magazine
- Ten tips on how to launch a magazine
We also recommend 2 books that will get you started on launching your own magazine.
- One is Launch Your Own Magazine: A Guide For Succeeding in Today’s Marketplace by Samir Husni, published in 1998, and available from his web site www.mrmagazine.com.
- The second book is called The Magazine: Everything You Need to Know to Make It in the Magazine Business, by Leonard Mogel, published in 1998 .
Additional resources for starting a magazine:
- Johnson, Sammye; Prijatel, Patricia. The Magazine: From Cover to Cover. NTC Publishing Group, 1999. Chicago, IL.
- Monti, Ralph Career Opportunities in Magazine Publishing. Special Interest Media, 1999. Bloomfield, NJ.
- Morgan, Bradley Magazine Career Directory. Visible Ink Press, 1993. Detroit, MI.
- Woodard, Cheryl Starting and Running a Successful Newsletter or Magazine. Nolo Press,1996. Berkeley, CA.
Are publishers legally obligated to lodge each publication with a national archive?
Yes, by law New Zealand’s National Library requires you to send them a copy of each magazine issue you produce.
Click here for more information.