About the MPA
The New Zealand magazine industry is one of the most vibrant and energetic magazine markets in the world.
The MPA (Magazine Publishers Association) is the face of our magazine publishing industry; it is the primary source of information and expertise for members, advertisers, agencies, retailers and the community.
Magazine Definition: a discrete publication, usually printed, containing a variety of articles and images, that is not a newspaper, book, or catalogue, and has a regular publishing schedule.
Our Purpose:To promote to our stakeholders that magazines are the most engaging and effective medium, and to promote a commercial environment where all member magazine publishers can be more successful.
Stakeholders include: MPA members, consumers, advertisers, retailers, suppliers, the media industry, and government.
MPA was established in 1982 to represent the interests of NZ magazine publishers and to promote professionalism in magazine publishing. Our members range from the largest multi-title publishing houses to single-title publishers from across consumer, custom, trade and business disciplines.
- Mix with a wide variety of industry players and providers
- Stay in touch with industry issues that will affect your business
- Access MPA web content that is restricted to members only, such as latest research, news, articles, presentations
- Advertise for free on the MPA web site: employment vacancies, research wanted, magazine launches, etc
- Receive invitations at members rates to educational events and conferences
- Be recognised at MPA’s annual Magazine Excellence Awards
- Contribute your opinions and ideas to the industry; have input into crucial policy decisions
- Receive MPA advocacy at Government regulatory level, and in the Business community
Functions include initiatives to:
- Increase magazines’ share of advertising dollars, and readers’ time and money
- Represent the magazine publishing industry, and advocate on its behalf in the Government regulatory environment and Business Community
- Defend the freedom of the press
- Recognise and Promote industry Excellence through New Zealand magazine awards
- Promote Industry business ethics and best practise
- Provide relevant Education and Training for those entering, or already working within, the industry
- Collate and disseminate research and information that has either been specifically commissioned for the MPA, or obtained through relationships within NZ and overseas
- Support and promote MPA members and their publications
The MPA’s elected Executive Board is a unified and independent voice representing the NZ magazine industry to consumers, advertisers, agencies and retailers.